Wednesday, May 14, 2008

That's sick!

I’ve come to want to hear those words uttered by my group members when it comes time to show each other our progress in our archi work.

You see, the guy who says this is a pretty good student, and when he says it, he means “wow”.

So, this was the fruit of my labour: 9 plans, select three and produce models of 1:50 scale. I chose three main themes - “T” for 2, Journey and Heaven meets Earth - and expanded each three times.

“T” for 2 because the clients’ name is High Tea with Mrs Woo and it’s a simple concept of stacking two letter T’s on each other and oscillating one of them to a slight degree. The overlapping areas create sense of void and space which define the rooms required. This was initially my favourite design, and I thought there was no question that I would choose this.

This was the last concept to come to mind. The clients seem
to have a great liking to nature and a private garden space. Hence the idea of a rooftop garden came to mind. As a bonus, since I designed the 1st floor almost like a glass house which equals a very hot space, the rooftop garden actually helps ease this problem. I don’t know if I got too carried away with the design process and perhaps certain aspects have become excessive.

What started as the more difficult one to work with became the most interesting model/process. The concept here is a journey, (The essential brief being two rooms, and how they connect) So basically you enter from the smaller end, and because of the curved interior, can’t see the other end of the room. When you come to the curve near the end do you see garden. The general idea is the room is closed, and the window at the end is completely open, in contrast to the lack of big windows in the room itself.


It is difficult because the walls are curved and this makes functional uses a challenge to plan for. But I think I will use this plan as this has a stronger concept (the other being “T” for 2)
The submission model is to be made only with greybox board – the material these models are made of, but no plastic sheets are to be used to represent glass, meaning I doubt the models would look as impressive.

But then again, my lecturer was saying it’s about the form. And that is something I try to go back to – not to be too distracted with anything else. Oh, I try.

No comments: