Monday, April 21, 2008

Sydney Day 1 – Of missing trains, smelly feet and free cookies

I had been lazy to get off my butt and go into Sydney. I suppose I have been getting too comfortable in my little room. Plus it’s been getting cold! I just wanted to sleep under my blanket!

I was planning on leaving in the afternoon – say about 3. But my mobile wasn’t in order and I couldn’t make outgoing calls – I wasn’t going to go to Sydney without a working phone!
So after all the waiting on the line with the operator and my problem fixed, it was after 4pm, so I thought what the heck? I’ll just have dinner here (since it is provided) and head down after that. I went for dinner at 5.30pm, left 15 mins later for my room, left my room just before 6pm, and still managed to miss my train at 6.09pm. Damn. The next one was not due till 7.15pm! I wasn’t going to go back so I took out my book and read in the frigid wind.

I reached Sydney about 10.40pm. I did not secure a place to stay for the night, but then again I thought that was “fun” and at most I’d just sleep in the train station. Ok lah, I had done some prep… I checked online and from what I saw the YHA was still vacant. There’s two within walking distance of Central station in Sydney but I was hoping to stay at the Railway YHA because they converted some old train cabins into rooms! I opted for a dorm-type room, where I share with three complete strangers. Two were Germans on a 4 month-long vacation and another Asian guy, who was asleep when I got there, and had left by the time I got up.

The moment I walked into the room, the pong of smelly feet hit me. Boy, it was gonna be a long night.

I didn’t want to stay with Steffen just yet – he had an assignment due on Friday and I didn't want to get in the way.

So, I hurriedly put down my things and left, for a very late supper of a subway sandwich, along with TWO free cookies. I suppose they were closing and were just trying to get rid of them. I walked around town a bit – most places were closed – and then headed back to my dorm about 1.30am, to the smelly feet and my waiting bed.

I slept with the sheets over my nose for most of the night.

No comments: