Monday, April 21, 2008

Sydney Day 4 - Of The Rocks, Thaitanic and wild rabbits

Another late morning, though not as late as the day before and this time we had breakfast in the dinning hall. One thing about the Jewish college Steffen stays in, it seems there’s no problem that I sleep in their beds, use their bathrooms and eat their food. Steffen says that’s why he pays $365 a week!

I had scrambled eggs, cooked by myself, some prunes, and matza (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matza) really dry biscuits without yeast. They’ve got this Passover feast now, and basically they can’t eat anything with yeast in it.. Which is like everything! Well, the food is limited.

Being a weekend, there was the local weekend market going on and I was particularly keen on visiting the one at The Rocks. It is an old suburb, and the buildings pretty much older than the rest of Sydney. But the place still commands a high price, as it is situated right along the harbour, with the view of the opera house.

As the brochure says, The Rocks is where Sydney began.

The Rocks market is also known for the arts and craft and while I didn’t get anything, we bought chocolate-coated strawberries and ate them along the way. Lunch was a simple affair of take-away fish and chips, eaten by the water side.

In the mid afternoon we went shopping; I had decided to get that jacket. And I did want something that was a little more dressed up than my hoodies. Nothing else interesting happened apart from walking around the city.

I arranged to meet Sameer for dinner since Steffen had a dinner to attend on college and being the vice-president of social meant he had to go.

Sameer picked me up and I met his partner, Lee and we headed to Newtown for dinner. Sameer is a 5th year student studying medicine in Newcastle while Lee is an actor. Since Sammer felt like drinking we got a cheap $9 rosé to to share. Dinner was at - get this - Thaitanic! Good grief! What a name huh!

I was afraid dinner wouldn’t go smoothly as this is probably one of the first few times meeting him in such an intimate setting.

Thankfully, dinner was pretty decent and I would even say enjoyable and conversation flowed pretty easily. And it wasn’t the alcohol in my system since I stopped at one glass.
Dinner ended at 10pm and I made my way to the train station, where I had an hour and a half wait for the train. I didn’t manage to sleep at all on the three-hour ride back. Something I find surprising since I normally sleep in the train.

As I was walking back to my room from the station, Warabrook, I spied a family of rabbits. It was a stark contrast, Sydney with the teaming people, and Newcastle, not a soul, just the rabbits.

Oh, my new phone. :)

No comments: